Monday, March 12, 2007

 

Life is what happens whilst your busy making other plans

Its scary that it is already the middle of March and I hav'nt posted anything in 3 months. After the excitement of the Billy Bragg gig, the rest of December was spent preparing for Christmas. Christmas 2006 was unusual. I normally work until very close to the day itself, if not on Christmas day, so arranging the things needed for Christmas has to be fitted around everything else that goes with being a family. However, this year was very different for me, as I had to use up a large amount of annual leave before starting a new job as a school nurse. This meant that I finished my sickness in early December, but my first day was the third of January!

It was a good thing I had all that time off, as my wife works for a firm of accountants, and December is normally a very difficult time for her. She works an enormous amount of overtime between October and Christmas, and I have to try and do her jobs at home as well as my own. At least this year i didn't have to work, as the "busy season" started in the middle of October, and she was working 7 days a week just to keep up. It is never easy and she was very, very tired by the time Christmas came.

There is normally a grand order of all the presents needed in October, which is now much easier thanks to the internet. A day long tread around our local shopping center has been replaced by an hour or two spent ordering on websites. We normally use Amazon, but also order using other websites such as Tesco and Woolworths. The latter has a great facility of allowing you to collect online orders from a store so you don't have to wait in for a delivery man.

We had Christmas at home, inviting my mother to join us. We then dropped her home on Boxing day, taking two cars to her house, and then traveling up to the northeast to see my wife's family.

There is a grand gathering of the clan every Boxing Day. About 50 people sit down to Boxing day tea, party games and Christmas carols. Its a great day and a good chance to catch up with what's going on in the rest of the family. We stayed until New Years Eve at my sister in law's.

And then home to a new year and a new job.... but that's a story for another day!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?