Monday, March 09, 2009

 

It been a long, long time

I feel a little explanation is in order. My last post was in November 2007, and you might be wondering why. Have I been struck down by an almost fatal illness, have I been abducted by aliens and just returned last night by the mother ship, or lost my memory and been wandering the world in search of myself? The answer to all of these questions is no, but it would be a very interesting post if any of those were true.

Writing here was always in the must do tomorrow pile. A large mound that never seemed to get any smaller. As well as all the normal things of housework, and coping with three adult children, there just seems to be so much to fill the time. A friend of mine successfully managed to blog every day for a month, and she still manages to write a very interesting and entertaining blog about life in Cyprus. Her little corner of cyberspace is well worth visiting at http://cypruslife.blogspot.com/.

Perhaps I should see it as a diary, and try and write something at least weekly. So here goes...

I have bought an Apple Mac. After years of owning PC's and never being entirely happy with their quirks, a bit like an eccentric uncle, you know what can happen, and you can't change it so you work around them. Then I saw the light and dipped a toe into the mac world and discovered safe reliable computing which is intuitive. It does what I need quickly, efficiently and reliably. I never thought I would join the evangelical Apple church, but I have. If your thinking about buying a mac then do, you won't regret it.

The other very useful things is Google Calendar, its not a big thing but it is very useful.

Google Calender is an online diary which I use to remind me of all the things I need to do. There are several advantages compared to an online diary. Firstly, you can never lose it, secondly you can always read it (a great advantage where I'm concerned), thirdly you can set up entries to repeat, so you can put family birthdays in without having to put them in the diary each year. It will also send you email reminders every day to help you to remember what you need to do.

Google calender is also very useful for those things that you almost remember. For example"Is it 12pm or 1210 that i need to pick up number 1 child from orchestra", and for those things that you do every week, and wouldn't put in an ordinary diary. So today I have set a reminder for my car's service and MOT test (a government mandated safety test for vehicles) that will not only occur in April when it's due, but also in April 2010, when I will be saying is it March or April?

I also get it to transfer to my phone, and my computer. All I need to do now is remember to actually do it!

If anyone at google want's to say thank you. Please post a 16GB black iphone to the usual address....

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?